Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:11:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   xorg 6.9.0, IBM X40/i855GME, no overlay on video out

FreeBSD paz.hyperreal.org 5.5-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.5-PRERELEASE #7: Wed
Mar  8 16:07:39 PST 2006 brian@paz.hyperreal.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/paz  i386

With the upgrade to Xorg 6.9.0, it's no longer possible to use mplayer (or
vlc, or any other player) to watch movies on the external video and the
LCD screen with the same xorg.conf setting.  A blue box appears where the
video should be, indicating that the X11 overlay isn't being sent. The
xorg.conf file I've used since 6.8.x now only shows the video overlay
working on the internal LCD screen, not the external video.  With 6.8.x it
worked fine switching from one to the other using Fn-F7 (I have no desire
for Xinerama, and don't really even need both displays on at the same
time, though that would be sweet).

I've read the man page for the i810 driver, saw that the Options for
"MonitorLayout" and "Clone" might affect this behavior, and proceeded to
try various options of the two. The closest I came was a setup involving a
ServerLayout that had the overlay going to the external video, but not to
the internal LCD - which would have required an X restart to flip between,
something I'd like to avoid.

My 100-monkeys-trying-all-possibilities approach to figuring this out
isn't working; at times it's lead to a hung X startup.  I figure something
changed in the behavior of 6.9.0 that is now more strict about what it
parses, so the same xorg.conf led to a regression.

My xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are at http://brian.behlendorf.com/xorg/

Any suggestions?  Again, my goal: get X overlay working on both internal
LCD and external video without needing to restart X.  No Ximerama needed,
no simultaneous display needed (Fn-F7 is fine).

BTW, it also looked like dri/drm stopped working; not sure if it's a
change to the 5.x kernel or xorg that caused it, but I don't get a drm0 in
dmesg anymore, just agp0:

agp0: <Intel 82855GME (855GME GMCH) SVGA controller> port 0x1800-0x1807 mem 0xd0000000-0xd007ffff,0xe0000000-0xe7ffffff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci0
agp0: detected 8060k stolen memory
agp0: aperture size is 128M

and loading the DRI module fails with xorg:

[paz] 8:06pm ~ > fgrep drm /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading sub module "drm"
(II) LoadModule: "drm"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/freebsd/libdrm.so
(II) Module drm: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "i915"
(II) I810(0): [drm] drmOpen failed

I don't know if it's related, I did all the updates at once, and am pretty
sure this wasn't the problem before.  This might also be related, from
Xorg.0.log:

(WW) I810(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 4 pages failed

I did see Anholt's message about i915 support in -CURRENT and the
hopeful backport of that to 6.x:

http://anholt.livejournal.com/27096.html

Just wondering if that would address this; would make it worth taking the
leap and trying 6.x on the X40.

 	Brian