Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:09:36 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic when unmount removed usbdrive

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:02:03 -0600
Octavian Covalschi <octavian.covalschi@gmail.com> wrote:

> no, i don't think it is easy, if it was i think it already been fixed

I did not imply that you were in the group "most people". :)

> it is not a hobby to remove storage before unmounting it, it's just
> happened, i even did not think it could
> bring kernel panic.
> in this case is a usbdrive.. but what happens if i have a usb hdd
> drive? it will be the same? having a laptop and a portable
> hdd may bring in situation that i just remove it form usb...

Yes, it will be the same. anay removable media (at least the ones that
end up being mounted) will behave this way, AFAIK. I'm sure someone
will correct me if I'm wrong.

> actually as far i know usb is intented to have hotswap devices.
> anyway, i'm just a user, and hearing and advice: "don't do that" it
> is VERY unprofessional

I agree.
However, this is the status quo right now, and has been for at least 4
years. There is no orher workaround - we (FreeBSD users) will have to
live with this until developers who can fix this can free up enough
time to do so. Note: am not blaming any developers for the sad state
we're in - after all, this is a volunteer project.

> i can understand that it can be difficult, i'm a programmer too, but
> anyway just to sat don';t do that is not at least nice :)
> >
> > If you can't learn to live with this workaround, please do not use
> > removable mass storage devices with FreeBSD.
> >

> don't be so mean :)

No mean-nesss was intended, just trying to tell you in very clear terms
what the state of this problem is.
Yes, it is harsh, but we will have to live with it for now.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen