Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:22:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <bowden@cs.odu.edu>
To:        John Dyson <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, John Dyson wrote:

> Or they could be keeping program images, disk cache and everything
> that is accessed around.  Some people have gotten upset about the small amount
> of "free" memory on FreeBSD, until they realize that it is more
> efficient to cache as much as you can :-).  Some of our "cache" memory
> becomes "active", but is quickly made available for other uses as needed.

Then why only take 1/3 of your free available RAM to do it?  I am looking
at my memory usage under freebsd right now, and all but 600k is claimed
by the cache, and active programs.  I don't give M$ that much credit.
They make some nice stuff, but it's expensive and usually suffers from at
least one major design flaw.  And everyone I know who uses NT says it's a
bloated pig.  :)

Jamie

I have my finger on the pulse of the planet.