Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 06:01:38 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evasive action may be needed: graphics/xfig-devel port deleted

--SIpeN1L2gmCc/JOo

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 08:46:28AM -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > After running "portmaster -o graphics/xfig graphics/xfig-devel", I was
> > able to proceed, but I would have appreciated an UPDATING entry.
>=20
> There is a file called MOVED which gives this information.

Of course.  But with

g1-227(10.0-C)[3] ls -1 /var/db/pkg | wc -l
     732

700+ ports installed on this machine (my laptop), grepping for each of
them daily is absurd.  (I thought MOVED was intended more for
programmatic parsing than human readability anyway....)

> I think in this case it may be worthwhile to
> change the graphics/xfig-devel entry to include |graphics/xfig|

I have no quarrel with the MOVED entry as it is presently constructed:
the whine that portmaster issued was clear and understandable.  That it
casued the entire process to terminate is annoying.

It seems to me that this is exactly the kind of situation for which
UPDATING entries have been created in the past.  And since there wasn't
one for this one, I felt rather blindsided, which is rarely (if ever)
pleasant.  It is almost certain that an UPDATING entry would have
allowed me to avoid the negative effects.

Peace,
david
--=20
Taliban: Evil men with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

--SIpeN1L2gmCc/JOo

--SIpeN1L2gmCc/JOo--