Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:59:52 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalidating pack messages

Thus spake Don Lewis (Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com):
> On Jun 20,  5:28pm, Nick Slager wrote:
> }
> } I have swapped out, individually, one at a time, each component of the SCSI
> } subsystem - controller, cable, drive and terminator. I'm still getting the
> } error message.
>
> You left out the power supply and power cable to the drive.

A good point; I'll swap power supplies tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

> I believe this error means that the drive has gone away (power failure)
> and come back (and has told FreeBSD that it has freshly powered up) in
> such a way that FreeBSD has no way to tell if the drive it was talking
> to before is the same drive that it is talking to now.  To avoid severe
> filesystem damage, FreeBSD prevents further access to the drive.
>
> Imagine the havoc you could cause by unplugging a drive that held a
> mounted filesystem that was being written to and hooking up another
> drive containing important data in its place if FreeBSD didn't detect
> this condition.

Yes, this would certainly be sub-optimal.

The sporadic nature of this fault has been particularly frustrating. Often the
system will run fine, all the time doing hefty reads/writes to various parts
of the filesystem, for a whole day before it dies.

One more thing I meant to mention in the original post: when the error occurs
the small green LED on the front of the drive flashes in a peculiar pattern.
It's hard to record exactly *what* the pattern is, as I have no reference
point and the sequence is fairly lengthy.

Seagate support insist they have no idea what the pattern represents, and "not
even an engineer would know". Needless to say, it's not in the manual for the
drive. :-(

Has anyone come across a reference to the LED flash patterns on Seagate
drives?

Regards,

Nick.