Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 18:04:57 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

At 01:18 01/02/98 +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>Only the OS resides in /usr.
>A separate /var stabilizes much.
>I assume accounts go to something like /home !

I'd go along with this. I always separate the OS from user stuff. Currently
our main servers have a 1 or 2Gb disk with root var & usr on it, and either
a 4Gb or 2Gb drive with user accounts & storage areas. That way I can
install upgrades to FreeBSD etc without worrying about trampling user data.
Also, where we run a 24/7/365 SQL server I can build on a disk elsewhere
then physically swap it in for minimum downtime.

I use symlinks for convenience (to /home for example). Is there a reason
why this is bad practice?

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/