Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:57:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape situation

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Can netscape be built from sources? I mean, the source are freely
> available, aren't they?

No and no. The source code to an early version of 5.0 was what became the
Mozilla project, which is still very much a developing effort and not at all
stable last I checked. No source code to 4.x or earlier browsers is freely
available.

I don't use Netscape for mail - I've found it quite stable except for the DNS
resoluytion problems (which I've solved by running a local copy of squid and
passing off the DNS resolution and caching to that). However, I know lots of
other people seem to be experiencing the same problem as you are.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.