Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ problem (was Re: IRQ timing)

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > I just sent a message to the OSS people, and they mentioned that some of
> > the problem I am experiencing is a result of some tight IRQ timing that
> > the FreeBSD kernel has (ie, it takes too long to transfer the data).  I
>

> would you care to mention what problem are you experiencing ?
>
> Curiously I have a related question, so hope people would excluse the
> crosspost..

The exact problem is that at the highest sampling rate
(44.1KHz/16Bit/Stereo) I get skips in the music, even in an unloaded
system.  I emailed 4front-tech about this and said that it was a known
problem due to FreeBSD's tightness in the IRQ code.  I was hoping that
this was something that could be fairly easily changed (ie. a #define
somewhere).  (They did mention that they had spoken to some of the kernel
team about this).

Are there any beta patches, or pointers where to start digging.  I have
already started poking arround in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa.

--
David Cross
ACS Consultant