Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 10:14:39 +0800
From:      mag@intron.ac
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB audio adapters (snd_uaudio): what to buy and what not?

     It requires carefulness to buy hardware for FreeBSD. In this case,
I always carry a laptop with FreeBSD installed to shop and test all
interested products in the shop. In the file "uaudio.c" the matching
operation is only by "class" and "subclass":

        if (id == NULL ||
            id->bInterfaceClass != UICLASS_AUDIO ||
            id->bInterfaceSubClass != UISUBCLASS_AUDIOCONTROL ||
            (usbd_get_quirks(uaa->device)->uq_flags & UQ_BAD_AUDIO))
                return UMATCH_NONE;

But just as reported on MP3 player and digital camera (umass) these days,
NetBSD USB protocol stack has not been robust enough. Only attendant
test can ensure what works with FreeBSD.
                                                From Beijing, China