Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:18:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Evan Sarmiento <evms@cs.bu.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Active Directory

Moved to -chat... This is not appropriate for -stable.

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Evan Sarmiento wrote:

> My high school recently hired a new technology coordinator.
> Instead of using open source software, the coordinator redesigned
> the network to support Windows 2000 and Active Directory. For
> those of you who do not know what Active Directory is: Active
> Directory is an LDAP server which delineates what privledges each
> host on the network has, etc.

I've read every message in this thread so far and all I have to say is
that, as the network administrator of a large K-12 institution, I can
sympathise with some of his learyness of allowing any kind of
"foreign" machine on the network.

Due to our non-unique situation in the under-staffed world of public
education, I have essentially become a network-Nazi and would readily
flip the switch disallowing any machine that I did not personally
configure (or, actually, design the custom installation system for in
our case) on the network if it wouldn't suddenly cut off quite a few
machines that we have not had time to get to since we took over
several years (!) ago.

There is just me and one other person in our tech department dealing
with about 3000 users and nearly 1000 workstations on a shoestring
budget, and this is a pretty common situation for public schools.  In
four years we had a ten-fold increase in the number of machines on the
network with no additional staff or increase of our budget (though
that is changing, I hope).  Even if your technology coordinator has
half as many workstations and users and three times the budget and
staff that we do, I still sympathize with his learyness of foreign
machines introduced into the relatively fragile entity we call a
"network".  It has become a conditioned reaction to just say NO to any
request that doesn't immediately seem like a technically sound idea
when you're in a situation like that, and the only thing that will
change that is an infinite budget and an infinite abundance of
well-trained network monkeys jumping around to handle every little
problem that would pop up if everybody were allowed to do whatever
they wanted.

> I asked him his policy on laptops. After a long conversation, he
> said: "I do not allow any laptops running *NIX to be placed on the
> network, as I believe it will interfere with Active Directory."

The AD fear is unfounded, but see above why I don't like the idea of
foreign machines on "my" network.  This might be his way of saying the
same thing.

> I tried to explain to him how false his assumption was, but, he
> would not recant his infamy. I can understand, in a way -- He
> wants to make sure that the network is running for students to
> use.

That is generally the number one priority.

> How would I go about convincing this enthusiast that FreeBSD will
> not somehow interfere with Active Directory? This is what I have
> tried so far.

The answer would be to convince him that you can configure a machine
properly so that it won't ever interfere with anything on the network
and gain his trust.  Going above his head to the boss (as you
mentioned in another message) is not one way to do that.

As an aside, I DO allow "untrusted" machines on our network in a
couple of locations, both of which are on their own segmented and
firewalled networks.  They happen to be computer tech classes in our
vocational school which obviously require an environment more open to
"experimentation".  I also keep an eye on every one of our networks
via an intrusion detection system as well as network protocol
analyzers.  I immediately know when anything goes out of whack and the
owner of any machine causing anything to go even slightly out of whack
is likely to get one him/her-self in some form or another.  If I can
do that given our staff situation and budget, so can your technology
coordinator.  It only requires a clue and a good implementation of it.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet