Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        "purpledreams.com system administrator" <super@purpledreams.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hijacking DNS with ipfw

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, purpledreams.com system administrator wrote:

> I think that you will still need natd or something similiar, as ipfw
> doesn't change the packets, and natd does, exactly as you describe
> above.  The problem is how to make the redirection occur for _any_
> connection attempt to port 53, instead of merely redirecting port 53
> attempts to known IPs.

Well, to provide more input, I did this:

I set up apache on this box, running on the standard port 80. I did a:
ipfw add 200 fwd 127.0.0.1,80 tcp from any to any 80 recv xl1

And guess what...it worked perfectly. So, I'm growing closer to assuming
this is a named issue. I'm considering trying out tinydns from bernstien,
to see what happens with that.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access