Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:21:13 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster question

"David J. Kanter" wrote:

> I just went from 3.4 to 3.5 and used mergemaster for the first time.

	Woo woo. :)

> I was a little confused and overwhelmed,

	Reading the man page and running it with -v for the first time (or
first few times) will help make it easier to deal with. There is a lot
to learn when it comes to upgrading from source, but it seems that
you're on your way.

> but this is how I handled it and would like
> others to let me know what they think:
>
> All the files that I had made changes to personally, like personalizing my
> sendmail.cf, named.conf, and inetd.conf files, I left alone. But the other
> "standard" files that are a part of a basic FreeBSD install I let
> mergemaster overwrite. For instance, MAKEDEV, /etc/fbtab, /etc.rc,
> named.root, and such.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

	Yes, very much so. You might want to take a look at the man page for
sdiff, which is the tool that the merge option uses to merge the old and
new files. If you merge in the $FreeBSD CVS tag for the files that you
have added local customizations to, mergemaster won't bother you again
about those files till they change. You can also merge in lines from
those files that don't interfere with custom optimizations you have
made. Finally, if you see a file that has changed that you're not ready
to deal with while running mergemaster the first time through, you can
just push the Enter key and it will remain for you to deal with later.
Then you can either merge it by hand, or use 'mergemaster -r' to go
directly back to the file(s) you have left in that temporary root
directory.

HTH,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire