Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:24:23 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        mjacob@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unmapped I/O

--------
In message <20121219172320.GW71906@kib.kiev.ua>, Konstantin Belousov writes:

>Still, the i386 cannot have much benefit from the unmapped buffers,
>just because thre is no facilities similar to the direct map for amd64.
>i386 must use transient mapping even for unmapped buffers to copy
>the data to the usermode.

Wrong, a Adaptec 1542 could DMA directly into or out of any spot
of memory and that could have been mapped in userland but not in
kernel.

>Also, as I understand the history, VMIO buffers, or unified page/buffer
>cache, only appeared in the FreeBSD.

Correct, but truth to be told, they have probably delayed our
implementation of unmapped buffers by about 10 years...

I don't blame John & David however, making that full leap in
one go would have required the mythical HeldenProgrammer, there
were a lot of cruft we had to get out of the way first.