Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 02:44:05 -0700
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   I would consider it a real favor if somebody could help this poor guy! :(

From: raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Help! FreeBSD does not boot!
Date: 5 Apr 1995 11:58:02 +1000

My problem:

I bought the Walnut Creek FreeBSD 2.0 yesterday, with the
intention of replacing Linux with FreeBSD.  I created a
boot and a cpio floppy, as per the notes, and attempted
to boot via the boot floppy.  The boot floppy takes me
through to the memory test message, which says something
like "Testing memory (8M).."  at which point the boot
stops, and the system re-boots.  It becomes an endless loop.

I have and 486DX-40, 8 Meg RAM, with a Fujitsu 500M HD and
an IBM 245M HD, , a 1.2 Floppy and a 1.44 Floppy, a Sound Blaster
compatible plus a Mitsumi CDROM, and a Cirrus video card.  From
my understanding, none of this is unusual, and FreeBSD should be
able to cope.

Could it be:

1. A memory problem during the memory test?  I consider this unlikely
   since I have never had memory problems.  If it was the memory, I
   would have expected a memory error message, not a silent re-boot.

2. A hardware configuration problem?  Like I said, I believe
   my hardware is fairly conventional, and both Linux and DOS
   work OK.  Besides, the sound card, the cdrom, the HD's - none
   of these devices are accessed with the bootup floppy, right?

3. A BIOS problem?  I have AMI BIOS.  Perhaps a setting needs to
   be changed?

Is the boot failing on the memory test, or on whatever it is
the boot floppy does _after_ the memory test?

Finally, is it possible for me to see the source of the boot
floppy, perhaps add a few debug messages to the kernel, and build
a new boot image?  Could someone point me to doco on how I can do
this?

Thanks for your assistance - I really wanted to try FreeBSD.
I hope my CD won't need to become a frisbee.  I hope that I'm not
stuck with Linux like it or not.

--
Raoul Golan, Consultant for Object Oriented P/L, at   ="Those who have put out
Intelligent Networks Development, Telecom Australia   = the eyes of the people