Date:      22 Feb 2002 12:08:05 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        "Tim E Schafer" <tim_schafer@agship.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux-jdk14 bombs (running tomcat with servlet)

[java@freebsd.org CCd so they can archive your suggestions]

"Tim E Schafer" <tim_schafer@agship.com> writes:

> I noticed that the port linux-jdk1.4 doesn't do something that the
> linux-jdk1.3.1 port does, that is turn off hotspot.  Take a look at:
> /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/jvm.cfg
>
> should look like:
>
> -classic
> -client
> -hotspot
> -server
>
> with -classic at the top it chooses to use classic VM over hotspot

From native jdk-1.3.1p6 built from ports last night, jre/lib/jvm.cfg:

    -client
    -hotspot
    -server
    -classic

with the only implementation in jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/classic/libjvm.so.
(The Linux jdk13 had additional libjvm.so under different dirs).

The linux-jdk14 moves this to linux-jdk1.4.0/jre/lib/i386/jvm.cfg:

    -client KNOWN
    -server KNOWN
    -hotspot ALIASED_TO -client
    -classic WARN
    -native ERROR
    -green ERROR

with libjvm.so under client/ and server/.  So there's no "classic"
libjvm, and the "client" is the same as "hotspot".  So I tried the
only option I have: swapping -client with -server.  No help, not
surprisingly: same error. Bummer.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've never looked under the covers of the
java machine, didn't know these knobs were there to tweak.