Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 20:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Johnson <cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        David Aquilina <Gandalf@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SB Live! Soundcards

On Sun, 7 May 2000, David Aquilina wrote:

> Hello, does FreeBSD support the SoundBlaster Live! card? If not, when is
> such support likely to appear? Thanks in Advance

There is different levels of support for the SBLive! card under FreeBSD.
This is what I understand from the -questions mailing list:

Under 3.x:
	No support from the FreeBSD project itself.  In order to use
	your SBLive! card, you must purchase drivers from
	http://www.opensound.com/ (This is what I'm doing)
	The Opensound drivers work well with almost everything
	(mtv, an mpeg player from MpegTV being one notable exception).
Under 4.x:
	There is some experimental support from FreeBSD-native sources,
	see http://wcug.wwu.edu/~cjohnson/sblive4.txt for a howto I
	nabbed from the -questions list (I didn't write this, and
	haven't tried it yet).
Under 5.x:
	See:
http:///www.defcon1.org//html/Hardware_Articles/PnP_Sound/PnP_Modem/SB-Live/body_sb-live.html
	for more info on SBLive! support under 5.x-current.

Chris Johnson
cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu