Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:27:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared files within a jail

--- Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hans Zaunere wrote:
> > I want to allow the users the ability to compile and use their own
> > instances of Apache and MySQL from within the jail.  But instead of
> > duplicating the basic system libs and bins, I'd like to maintain a
> > single repository of this, which can then be read-only from within
> the jail.  Options:
> >
> > -- Symlinks won't work because of the chroot.
> > -- Mounts from within the jail aren't allowed, plus a single
> partition
> > can't be mounted multiple times, AFAIK.
> > -- I don't have NFS setup, and I would like to avoid it as much as
> > possible.
> > -- mount_null seems to be the answer, however the warning at the
> end of
> > the man page is scary.
>
> It's less scary, since you will be mounting read-only.

I thank everyone for their suggestions, and I think I will go with null
mounts, since it will in fact be read-only.

I'd like to add that I think a completion of mount_null (and taking out
the fright from the bottom of the man page :) would be greatly
appreciated, since the functionality it provides is very valuable to
running jails.  I'm also looking forward to the next "version" of jail
implementation!

Thanks again all and keep up the excellent work,

=====
Hans Zaunere
New York PHP
http://nyphp.org