Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:53:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: large IDE disks

On 20-Nov-97 Charles Mott wrote:
>> The drives should remap bad sectors by themselves, if that fails it has
>> no more spares, and are now "junk drives" (those some of the more
>> "ingenious" dealers try to sell anyways)... Use your 3 year warranty
>> to get it replaced ASAP.
>
>Are the bad sectors determined at the time of manufactruing or does the
>drive somehow automatically do this when it is reformatted?
>
>Mainly, I am wondering whether the drives can automatically deal with new
>bad sectors as they appear.

ALL IDE drives are capable of being re-low-level-formatted and having
their bad sectors and spares remapped.  Western Digital gives these
utilities to the public (available on their FTP site), as does Maxtor, I
think (at least I got ahold of them.. not sure if Maxtor wanted them
released or not).  I have NOT found these utilities for Quantum or Fujitsu
drives.  Conner drives actually require a small bit of hardware to do the
reformatting (its rather inexpensive, luckily, and doesn't require any
software.. it can be done outside of a box).

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net