Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 14:23:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lee <terryl@ienet.com>
To:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Johan Granlund <johang@algonet.se>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The demise of -stable

Paul Richards wrote:
> Well, I've already said to Jordan that I'd be willing to look after a -stable
> branch but *only* for bug fixes and only for bug fixes that can be
> done without a lot of re-architecting, those more complex bug fixes should
> be done in -current. There are companies I've sold FreeBSD systems to that
> actually use -stable as a bug fix tracking system, it's a hell of a lot
> nicer to sup or ctm -stable than it is to deal with Sun's bug fix system
> and we could make -stable a valuable resource along these lines.
>
> The sort of bug fixes that would be OK would be the fixes Justin has made to
> the adaptec driver, the sort of thing I wouldn't like to allow would be
> "choice bits" since that's not what people tracking -stable are really
> looking for, they want the bugs in the functionality they have fixed not
> new stuff, they'll wait until the next full release for that, their main
> concern is *stability*.

This would be great, and I think cover the vast majority of needs in userland.
The only thing I would add is that it would also be valuable if new hardware
device drivers could be committed to the tree.  Of course *only* if it can be
done without a lot of re-architecting, and the committing core-team member is
reasonably confident that the driver will not undermine the stability of the
rest of the system.

I sight an example of something that has been very valuable: the fxp driver for
the Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Cards.  Since Intel has been selling these
for only $49, the driver has been invaluable to lots of FreeBSD users.

When a new release comes out, you could just junk the tree.

All the best,

Terry
--
I N T E R N E T       Terry Lee, Technical Director
D E S I G N           611 W. 6th St., Ste. 3201, Los Angeles, CA 90017