Date:      Tue, 08 Mar 2011 06:28:15 +0100
From:      "Svein Skogen (Listmail account)" <svein-listmail@stillbilde.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL must die!

--------------enigC8F3B06B547BD601BC0B0BF1

On 08.03.2011 04:36, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 7 March 2011 19:44, Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com> wrote:=

>>> Um, why exactly are so many people against HAL?
>>
>> It breaks my mouse and keyboard.  I assume it would break other stuff =
if I
>> had esoteric devices.
>=20
>> with HAL =3D nothing works
>> without HAL =3D everything works
>=20
> Interesting, I had 0 problems with HAL ever since it was made.

But he does raise a valid problem (if more than zero users, etc). "We"
(I include fellow FreeBSD users, but also OSX and Linux users) do lack a
decent cross-platform device manager stack, with uniform device name
enumeration. DevFS (and its peers in Linux) does give us a start, but
not enough to build a system on. However, I suspect that getting this to
be truly cross-platform would take "a known name" in BSD-land,
OpenIndiana/Illumos and Cupertino agreeing with RMS that "making this
worth would be a nice summer-of-code project". Perhaps "AutoDevFS"
mounted on /autodev (names being picked from empty air with only
coffee-fumes). Such a framework would allow "drivers" to attach using
pipes, and thus allow (for instance) usb-upses to have python (or lua,
or <insert-name-of-interpreted-language-here) drivers, etc. "our world"
(unix-like world) hasn't had a truly common such stack since Bell Labs...=

>>> It's the only cross-platform thing available for non-Linux systems wh=
ich
>>> handles device enumeration, hotplugs, etc.
>>>

>> I'm not running a cross-platform.  I'm running FreeBSD.  There were na=
tive
>> FreeBSD solutions to hotplugging the devices I use before HAL.
>=20
> Good luck with running your FreeBSD with FreeBSD-only applications :)

I'm less of an OS cleric. I run windows, freebsd, openindiana, irix (my
old indy still works), and <insertdeity>knowswhat. Not because I like
being confused, but because I chose tools for the task at hand, not
tasks from what my (least) favourite os can('t) do. I still want
something that works, and if it brings a decent standard into the loop,
it will make me sleep a little better. Getting something to REPLACE HAL
with, something that actually works, would provide me with more rest.

//Svein

--=20
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein@d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg =C3=98stli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein@jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein@stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail@stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein@jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.