Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 1995 19:00:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        pvinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any news as to html server?

Paul Vinciguerra writes:
> Has there been a decision as to whether or not 2.1 will include a html
> server?  More importantly, is there going to some type of CGI support?

I think the jury is still out on this one.  A working demo of
what the help system could be with an http server might be a good
thing to throw together.  Personally I don't have time but I
would certainly encourage anyone who wants to make a go at it.

A good demo should be able to do on-the-fly html generation from
man pages with live links to other man pages.  It should also
support an interface to "man -k", again with live links to the
resulting man pages.  It should be no more difficult to use than
the man command and automagically incorporate anything the user
adds in /usr/local/man, or rather it should find anything that
the regular man command would find.  Ideally it would be just as
fast at on-the-fly generation as man is.

-john