Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:56:31 -0700
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

> i just read a comment that *nix doesn't even have good, intuitive debugger.
> all there really are are wrappers for ancient command line utils.  this does
> not seem very state of the art compared with vc++ or softice.

That's a feature, not a bug!  (Despite what the Microsoft-oriented types
believe).

I just spent all weekend struggling with a monolithic Windows-based
debugger.  It doesn't allow me to run a GUI remote from the underlying
textual debugger and since it is "licensed software" (with a dongle)
it's not possible to have a copy at my remote site without great
expense.

Further, the command-line oriented debuggers so maligned by the Windows
types are very powerful, unlike the rather simpleminded ones that
Microsoft produces.

I've used VC++ and SDS WOD's (windows oriented debuggers).  I'm always
very happy to get back to DDD+gdb or just gdb by itself.   An additional
benefit is that they're modifiable and support cross-development.

It's different from the Microsoft way.  That's a very *good* thing.  :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com