Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 10:44:34 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   X11 config wierdness

Greetings!
My 19" monitor became sick, so I have to use the 14" backup monitor for now
:-(

To use the 14" monitor I went to /etc/X11 and copied XF86Config to
XF86Config.19 so I could revert later.
Then I invoked /stsnd/sysinstall - X configuration and chose the graphical
interface and "use existing as defaults".  Then altered the monitor figures
to suit, chose 800x600 16bit colour, OK and left.

X11 seems to work just fine on the small monitor and is certainly running at
800x600 (I had to alter my app defaults to make their windows MUCH smaller).

Thought I might try to use virtual larger screens, so went to XF86Confug and
discovered that NOTHING had changed, except the file's date!!  What is going
on, here - where is X getting its instructions from if not
/etc/X11/XF86Config ??

Yes, I did check the other possible location for XF86Config - that directory
is empty.

Advice, anyone?

--
Regards,