Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:59:43 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        chat@freebsd.org, robmel@innotts.co.uk
Subject:   Re: SysV printing lameness...

Robin Melville writes:

> At 10:13 pm -0500 20/2/97, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> >On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Jake Hamby wrote:
> >
> >> Two conclusions from this story:  First, mailing lists are a wonderful
> >> resource, regardless of the OS, and second, STREAMS are truly evil!  Have
> >> nice day...
>
> Yup..
> I graduated from SCO Unix to FreeBSD. Streams R a great idea until they start
sending packets to the screen instead of the ether card.

> Rob

Sounds nasty (but so is SCO :)  ...  I just read the part in UNIX Internals
about how sockets are implemented in SVR4 using STREAMS.  Then I read how
Solaris 2.6 has actual kernel sockets (hmm, just like BSD!) which significantly
improved their SPECweb96 performance.  Guess STREAMS are great, except when you
try to implement sockets with them, and you actually want to have good TCP/IP
performance!

Out of curiosity, has anyone benchmarked FreeBSD vs. other OS's with SPECweb96
yet?  It sounds like it would be a great way to kick sand in the faces of Linux
and the other UNIX's if we had way better results.  Too bad I don't have the
testbed or the money to buy a copy of the benchmark.  Any takers?

-- Jake