Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:19:44 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Ashish SHUKLA <ashish@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] editors/emacs to 24.1

On 07/23/2012 16:26, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:20:43 +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> said:
>>>
>>> Did you try other terminal, like mrxvt ? I think it's problem with terminal,
>>> and not Emacs, but I might be wrong.
>
>> mrxvt and mrxvt-devel both do not display utf-8 at all. I tried
>> rxvt-unicode: While only some of the Arabic characters where displayed
>> correctly, the cursor was moving properly and it did not reorder the
>> characters. Emacs and the Emacs port seem to be fine. Finding and
>> setting up a terminal that works properly with Arabic seems to be the
>> problem.
>
> Sorry, I was talking about mlterm[1].

Just for the record: x11/mlterm WITH_FRIBIDI does correct editing of
Arabic in a shell and in "emacs -nw". Otherwise, "emacs -nw" does not
work very well in mlterm: Backspace does not work, while it works
outside Emacs, and combinations using the <Alt> key do not work, but
they work properly in both konsole and rxvt-unicode.

Anyhow, the shortcomings of different terminal emulators are really OT
and the only conclusion should be that there really seems to be no
problem with either Emacs or the Emacs port.

Thanks,
Jan Henrik