Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:44:30 +0200
From:      Rumen Telbizov <altares@e-card.bg>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and serial ata

Hi

> If I dont have the BIOS set to SATA only, I can make the system repeatedly
> crash by running bonnie with a -s value twice the size of the RAM on the
> machine.  So far it seems to run fine in this mode. I can provide more
> details if you are interested.

Hmm, I tested my sata discs with bonnie++ and rawio (yeah I did not have
information on that disc) and also loaded the system with *heavy*
disc operations myself like copying files (2GB) and making replications
on 3 other systems and I can gladly say that so far the system
is rock solid. The only thing that I still wonder about is if
the discs run as fas as they can in this legacy mode set in the
bios.

I ran bonnie++ with filesize 2GB and -x 100 - took about 10 hours  :)
My RAM is 1GB.

Another test on the discs was vim file.sql (file.sql == 7GB).
Biiiiig waiting but that's because of the editor. Vi also
created ~8GB .swp file on this operation. Nevertheless all
operations on this system are stable (thank god).

A simple copy test from one disc to the other shows me
that I have exactly 32MBytes/s transfer. I repeated the test
many times. I do have softupdates enabled on both discs.
bonnie++ shows results about 56MBytes/s in sequential read/write
as far as I remember.

What is the speed that you can suck out from your discs ?

I will be glad to hear from you.

Have a nice day.

Rumen Telbizov