Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2006 07:39:41 +0800
From:      Yen-Ming Lee <leeym@freebsd.org>
To:        Lars Balker Rasmussen <lars@balker.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl Ports and 'make test'

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 12:57:15AM +0200, Lars Balker Rasmussen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 02:09:31PM -0600, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> > I did a quick search of the mailing list archives and didn't see any
> > postings on this matter (which surprised me actually).  Is anybody
> > working on a way to incorporate Perl's 'make test' procedure into the
> > port building framework?
>
> To move on a tangent to this:
>
> There's a problem with dependencies - ideally cpan-modules would introduce
> the possibility of installing without testing, and splitting dependencies
> into run, build and test.
>
> For some of my ports, a LOT of modules get pulled in, which have no other
> purpose than to support a test-suite we don't run.  I've considered patching
> their {Build,Makefile}.PL to not require these modules, but it'll take a
> lot of work...
>
> A similar split of run/build/test in ports could be helpful, but without
> cpan doing the same, we'd probably not get anywhere fast.
>
> (Blame erwins beer for this stream-of-consciousness, and good night :) )

I split run/build/test dependencies in my ports, so the dependencies section
of my ports will look like this:

RUN_DEPENDS=	... the run dependencies ...
BUILD_DEPENDS=	${RUN_DEPENDS}
BUILD_DEPENDS+=	... the build/test dependencies, i.e. p5-Test-Simple ...

--
Yen-Ming Lee [utf7:+Z05fZWYO] | KeyID:0x5EB52E51 | Taipei, Taiwan

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a

--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a--