Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:21:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Valentin Shopov <valsho@yahoo.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcic.c & {,un}register_pcic_intr declarations

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > The only configuration which currently works correctly is to remove the
> > kldload of the pcic module from /etc/rc.pccard and compile everything
> > else statically into the kernel.
> >
> > Every other variation is *broken*.
>
> Nope. I am kldloading pcic on my Libretto with no problems at all.
> I have no private hacks on that machine _at_all_. The only brokenness
> is when users compile pcic into the kernel, and rc.pccard kldloads
> pcic (Which is my stuffup).

Unfortunately, no, that's not correct.

The pcic module contains a reference to a symbol that's only present in
the kernel when the card* devices are statically compiled in.  Ie. if
you remove pcic* and card* you can't load the pcic module.

This makes the pcic module useless, and, as I said, renders any
combination other than 100% static *broken*.

> Two solutions; 1) don't compile pcic into your kernel; 2) remove the
> kldload pcic from rc.pccard; 3) fix kldload to not load modules when
> their functionality is already compiled in (_Three_ Solutions!!).

1) is a non-solutuion.  3) is where the correct answer lies, but until
the file/module dichotomy is resolved, it's not possible to do that.