Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:02:45 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Workarounds for OpenSSH problems

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> A few quick questions.
>
> Has anyone on the list successfully used privilege separation on the
> OpenSSH 3.3p that's now in the ports tree? Does it work? Does privilege
> separation have any negative side effects, such as disabling compression

I've installed it.  It griped and wouldn't start without `mkdir
/var/empty`.  Having added that it's running, but it hasn't griped about
the lack of an 'sshd' user/group.  I added them anyway.  I don't see any
sign of an sshd process running as anything other than root though.
Compression is enabled when I connect, but I'm not sure that the privilege
separation is actually working.

> or some forms of authentication? Since I have a lot of systems to cover,
> is it possible to copy just the SSHD binary of the later version over the
> one that's installed by default when one installs FreeBSD? (I'd rather do
> this than mess with installing a port -- especially since many of my
> production machines don't have the ports collection. It's a disk hog.)

`make package` on one machine, and then install from the package on the
others.  It's somewhat dependent on keeping your machines versions in
sync, but then its also a strategy which makes it easier tokeep everythin
in sync.

Andrew McNaughton