Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:22:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@mt.sri.com, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple run-levels (was: Re: /etc/init.d/)

> > The configuration is related to run *states*.  The hardware can be
> > *run* in several *states*, which *could* be represented by seperate
> > run states.
>
> No, they are not 'states'.  A state is something that you transition
> to/from, and very few of your configurations are actually 'states' that
> are transitioned to/from.  Either you're undocked, or you're not.  You
> don't transition only from 'docked/undocked', but you *are* either
> docked/undocked.

This is silly; are you claiming that I don't "dock" and "undock",
that my machine is only ever turned on when I am "docked" or
"undocked" instead?

This is patently false.  It's also generally false for the use of
PCMCIA cards to provide cellular modem, ethernet, or IR network
connections.

> Read state theory, and then get back to me about 'run state/levels'.

You are incorrectly claiming that state transitions are not trappable
events.

> 'docked/undocked' is a configuration, 'networked ethernet/networked
> serial/off-the-net' are other configurations, but there is no simple
> 'transition' where you always go from one state to the next when moving
> around.  You jump all over the place, so states is simply the wrong
> paradigm.  (I always like bringing up that word.)

There is no "simple" transition because the software to make it
simple never gets into the tree, mostly because of idiotic arguments
like this one.  "Oh, this is the way it has always been, and even
though it is admittedly shitty, we fear change and are comforted
in our backwardness by the lack of labor necessary to remain here".

Bah Humbug.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---