Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:47:45 CST
From:      "Konan Houphoue" <bahobab@hotmail.com>
To:        jmutter@ds.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DNS questions

------=_NextPart_000_389b79c4_5eb4a5b6$4a014feb

Im running FreeBSD 3.3.
I set up my own DNS and connect to my ISP via ppp alias mode.

The problem is that I cannot resolve my own domain name.
When I run nslookup mydomain.com (for example) I get this messages:

Server: clifton.mydomain.com [my DNS server]
Address: 192.168.1.1

*** clifton.mydomain.com cannot find mydomain.com: Non-existant host/domain

I cannot resolve my MX record either.
But I can resolve the names/IPs of the servers defined in my DNS.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks.

Configuration files attached.

------=_NextPart_000_389b79c4_5eb4a5b6$4a014feb

// $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/named.conf,v 1.5.2.1 1999/08/29 14:19:30 peter
Exp $
//
// Refer to the named(8) man page for details.  If you are ever going
// to setup a primary server, make sure you've understood the hairy
// details of how DNS is working.  Even with simple mistakes, you can
// break connectivity for affected parties, or cause huge amount of
// useless Internet traffic.

options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";

// In addition to the "forwarders" clause, you can force your name
// server to never initiate queries of its own, but always ask its
// forwarders only, by enabling the following line:
//
//      forward only;

// If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream provider, enter
// its IP address here, and enable the line below.  This will make you
// benefit from its cache, thus reduce overall DNS traffic in the Internet.

	forwarders {
		127.168.1.1;
		198.80.0.6;
		198.80.0.11;
	};

	/*
	 * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
	 * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
	 * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
	 * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
	 * port by default.
	 */
	 // query-source address * port 53;

	/*
	 * If running in a sandbox, you may have to specify a different
	 * location for the dumpfile.
	 */
	// dump-file "s/named_dump.db";
};

// Note: the following will be supported in a future release.
/*
host { any; } {
	topology {
		127.0.0.0/8;
	};
};
*/

// Setting up secondaries is way easier and the rough picture for this
// is explained below.
//
// If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter 127.0.0.1
// into your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be queried first.
// Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "localhost.rev";
};

// NB: Do not use the IP addresses below, they are faked, and only
// serve demonstration/documentation purposes!
//
// Example secondary config entries.  It can be convenient to become
// a secondary at least for the zone where your own domain is in.  Ask
// your network administrator for the IP address of the responsible
// primary.
//
// Never forget to include the reverse lookup (IN-ADDR.ARPA) zone!
// (This is the first bytes of the respective IP address, in reverse
// order, with ".IN-ADDR.ARPA" appended.)
//
// Before starting to setup a primary zone, better make sure you fully
// understand how DNS and BIND works, however.  There are sometimes
// unobvious pitfalls.  Setting up a secondary is comparably simpler.
//
// NB: Don't blindly enable the examples below. :-)  Use actual names
// and addresses instead.
//
// NOTE!!! FreeBSD runs bind in a sandbox (see named_flags in rc.conf).
// The directory containing the secondary zones must be write accessible
// to bind.  The following sequence is suggested:
//
//	mkdir /etc/namedb/s
//	chown bind.bind /etc/namedb/s
//	chmod 750 /etc/namedb/s

zone "termitiere.com" {
	type master;
	file "termitiere.db";
};

zone "1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "termitiere-reverse";
};

------=_NextPart_000_389b79c4_5eb4a5b6$4a014feb

termitiere.com.		IN SOA	clifton.termitiere.com.	root.termitiere.com. (
			2000020303	;Serial 	(yyyymmddvv)
			86400		;refresh	(1 day)
			7200		;retry		(2 hours)
			8640000		;expire		(100 days)