Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:19:02 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        me@prestoncrawford.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up X on FreeBSD?

On Thursday 06 November 2003 09:41 am, me@prestoncrawford.com wrote:

> I'm not looking for help, so much as I'm looking for positive
> affirmations that this can be done relatively easily once I get my
> hands on a book or really start digging into the handbook.

I affirm that this can be done relatively easy. The trick is knowing
what video hardware you have, and if an older monitor, the refresh
rates. Make sure you can start X before you turn on GDM or KDM.

The Handbook talks about this. My preferred method is to use xf86config,
but you need to know about your hardware. An alternate method talked
about in the Handbook is to use "XFree86 -configure", but you need to
hand "tune" the configuration afterwards to get what you want.

David