Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 23:20:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Troy Arie Cobb <troy@circle.net>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba, etc.

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Mark Mayo wrote:

> > Just a quick question...
> > anyone done/is working on a Samba FS?
> > I'd love to be able to mount as local
> > a drive on my NT machine (NFS is, of course,
> > an option but who wants to pay for the
> > NFS server for NT?  blech).
>
> Huh? If you want to 'mount' a samba share ON the NT box, that's exectly
> what samba does - it's a LanMan server and you can connect a samba share
> from UNIX as a local drive on NT.
>
> What I want is the opposite - I want to be able to "mount" (as a
> filesystem) a LanMan share from another machine, NT for example. I'd love
> to be able to mount -t smd nt_machine:/bigdisk/share /mnt !!! I think it
> would be
> great to have an NFS client-like samba program, instead of smbclient
> (ftp-like). I guess I mean compliment smbclient actually...
>
> Overall, the samba suite is superb! Unfortunately, I don't have the
> skills or the time to write an NFS-like client for samba.. but it would
> be super handy!!
Ah, I suppose my first post wasn't clear.  Mounting a LanMan-shared drive
on my FreeBSD box is what I want.  Yes, I'm already mounting my FreeBSD
drives on my NT box, but I want the other direction too.  A la NFS.

I might tackle such a beast if there is no one else already working on it.
However, it would definitely be a WHILE before I would have the time to
do the project justice.

As an aside, I could certainly avoid all this if there was a freely available
NFS server for NT.  I did a semi-extensive surf for one but came up nil.

- troy

Troy Arie Cobb
troy@circle.net

| Circle Net, Inc.       |  global internet access     |
| http://www.circle.net  |  for western north carolina |
| info@circle.net        |  and beyond...              |
| 704-254-9500           |                             |