Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:44:10 -0700
From:      John Medearis <jmedearis@msfreezone.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Melody Akins <unixpower@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Another Beginner Squeaks Up

I would add one other book to the list.  Having been a system admin for a variety of OSes, one book mentioned on this list a long time ago has certainly done a great job of explaining UNIX in general, even speaking to some of the differences between FreeBSD, Linux (Red Hat), Solaris, etc. The book is UNIX System Administration Handbook, third edition.  Even as an experienced admin, I have learned from this book.  As a beginner, I think you will find that the book will do a great job of leading you through your learning of UNIX.

Lastly, others are correct in your choice of starting points.  FreeBSD is very good.  I have always had a liking of UNIX compared to other OSes I have used (HP 3000 MPE, AS/400, NetWare, Windows NT, Winblows anything, DOS (yikes), etc.).  Something about the power in many individual tools, as well as the flexibility to do so much by being able to combine those tools, has been a great experience.  I often find UNIX-like tools to use in the other OS environments (grep, tail, awk, diff, etc. just to name a few) so that I can have the flexibility.

Have fun, and feel free to ask this list questions as you go along.