Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 1995 23:45:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Mike S. Leizaola" <leizaola@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Can FTP during Install...

Subject: Can't FTP during install
Newsgroups: comp.os.386bsd.questions

I am having big problems installing FreeBSD.

Quite a strange one actually....

I have managed to install the kernel and the io disk..on the
hard disk of my machine.
However as soon as I start ftp'ing the binaries it hangs up.
The connection is established and the username is accepted.
As soon as I press return the connection hangs. I can press
control Z kill the task After that I can't send any network
traffic out of the machine.

Also I can establish telnet sessions but no data is sent.

I can ping other hosts perfectly.

I have booted up the machine with /kernel -c
and configured the NE2000 with the following combinations.

port 0x300 and 0x360
irq 5, 10 12

iomem 0x0 and 0xd0000

I have also disabled all other devices which could conflict.
I have tried both a original NE2000 and a clone NE2000.

Does the NE2000 need an i/o mem setting or any flags?

BTW. ifconfig and route do not not report any error any time outs.

I have just un-installed NetBSD which I've used for a few months
and did not have any of these problems. So I do not believe I
have a hardware conflict.

Inside the machine there is a 387sx, a Maxtor IDE 340MB, a multi
i/o card, an 8 bit VGA card,

I believe that I need a Kernel compiling and it being sent as a
disk image to me.

I am currently trying linux and it runs at about half the speed
of NetBSD and the networking around a lot worse. Max FTP speed
70KB.... NetBSD 250KB-700KB.

Regards,
Mike.