Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:21:46 +0100
From:      Frank Volf <frank@deze.org>
To:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6 only jail and Apache

Hi,

To learn more about IPv6 I have setup an IPv6 only jail. The IP address
assigned to the jail is part of a public IPv6 prefix that I obtained
from my ISP.

The jail is started with 'ip4=disable' as a startup option to the jail
command.

The jail works surprisingly good. I can ping(6), traceroute(6), resolve
IP addresses and a DNS resolver that I reach on its IPv6 address.
In fact, I could install all ports from /usr/ports just as that. In all
cases so far, at least one of the distriubtion servers for the ports
sources files, is reachable by IPv6.

No complaints until recently.

Now, I trying to use apache22 to setup a web-server (once again only
reachable via IPv6). And here the problem starts. I just can't get the
thing to start, it core-dumps immediately:

six# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 start
Performing sanity check on apache22 configuration:
[Wed Jan 12 21:11:37 2011] [crit] [Wed Jan 12 21:11:37 2011] file
config.c, line 1982, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS" failed
Abort trap (core dumped)
Starting apache22.
[Wed Jan 12 21:11:37 2011] [crit] [Wed Jan 12 21:11:37 2011] file
config.c, line 1982, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS" failed
Abort trap (core dumped)
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22: WARNING: failed to start apache22

I researched the Internet, and could find some references to name
resolving issues, so I cross checked but the jail is able to resolve its
own forward and reverse DNS entry. But of course the jail has only an
AAAA record, and no A record; the whole point being that it is an IPv6
only jail.

I also added the FQDN and IPv6 address to /etc/hosts at no avail.

I tried to debug the apache and apr code, but that is not every easy
either.

So, my final hope is this list. Does anybody have a solution, or a clue
how to proceed with debugging this problem?

The apache22 ports version that I'm using is: apache-2.2.17_1.

Kind regards,

Frank