Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:03:45 +1100
From:      "Scott Penno" <scottpenno@optusnet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <scottpenno@optusnet.com.au>
Subject:   Problems starting init

Hi there,

Yesterday I grabbed the latest source for -stable, compiled and installed as
I've done on a number of occasions in the past.  Unfortunately this time
things didn't go quite so smoothly.  After building world and the kernel, I
installed the new kernel and rebooted without a problem, then installed
world and ran mergemaster.  After rebooting the kernel appears to load OK,
but when attempting to start init appears to be stuck in a loop.  What I see
is:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0s1: type 0xa5, start 63, end = 39102335, size = 39102273 : OK
start_init: trying /sbin/init

The cursor then changes from high intensity to normal and just sits there.
If I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, I see a couple of lines with waiting, syncing disks
and the box reboots

If I try and boot from kernel.old, the kernel only manages to display the
Copyright message before a page fault occurs.

A couple of other things I noticed.  Upon booting with -v I see:
Creating DISK ad0
ar: FreeBSD check1 failed
ad0: <WDC ....

I've never booted with -v before so have never seen this.  I've managed to
mount the disk from another disk with FreeBSD and the date and time updated
on all files in /bin and /sbin are from ages ago.

I have no idea where to go from here.  Anyone have any ideas?

TIA.

Scott.

[Please cc me with replies as I'm not subscribed to the list]