Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 00:04:18 -0500
From:      David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>
To:        Adam Maas <mykroft@explosive.mail.net>
Cc:        David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: identifying my network address

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:29:38PM -0500, Adam Maas wrote:
> Nope, Your display variable must be set to the IP or hostname of the X
> Server, which in this case is the Windows machine. X mangles the
> client/server difference, since the box displaying teh window is teh Server
> (And specified via DISPLAY) while the remote system running the apps is the
> client.
I got it. Daxbert suggested the simple 'who' command which I knew
before, but discarded becuase it gave me the win machine -name-,
but of course to unix, it knows what the IP is and looks it up;

$ who
dale             ttyp0   Mar  7 17:35   (192.168.1.3:0.0)
david            ttyp2   Mar  9 23:29   (CHANTELLE:0.0)
david            ttyp3   Mar  9 21:07   (CHANTELLE:0.0)
david            ttyp4   Mar  9 21:46   (CHANTELLE:0.0)
chantelle        ttyp5   Mar  9 23:25   (CHANTELLE:0.0)
chantelle        ttyp7   Mar  9 23:25   (CHANTELLE:0.0)

In my case I had five freebsd windows running on CHANTELLE under two
different user names.

> To use XWin32 (Ditch it, it's very buggy, eXceed is far superior), you need

this is -very- welcome advice, becuase you are right. It is buggy, and
I didn't know there was any quality alternatives.

thanks -