Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 03:51:07 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDROM image

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 10:59:03AM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Well, for me it would probably change from doing FTP installs to using
> > CDs.  I'm just to impatient to wait for a CD from Walnut Creek before
> > installing machines, and just go with FTP installs each time.  Burning
> > a CD locally would be a snap if I just had the image available.
>
> You don't have the resources, or the inclination to cut your own?

I don't have the inclination; I have the resources.  Fairly easily
from a pre-made release, somewhat more reluctantly from a 'make
relase'. (I seldom build a release and usually have to do some
harddisk cleanup to find the diskspace).  The pre-cut CDs work nicely;
as do an FTP install.  Why would I bother?  However, with a pre-made
image, it is so little work that I would :)

> I'd always want to mung things to suit myself.

I sometimes do, but for most boxes we install here a normal release is
good enough.

> > Eivind, who thought that WC wouldn't want people to be able to burn
> > their own CDs that easily.
>
> I can't see how they'd be bothered; for most people a 650MB download is
> going to cost more than the CD...

Most people, yeah.  But I bet there are more people than me that sit
on T1s or higher, where a 650MB download just cost the line being more
busy in the usually idle direction for an hour or so.  (I just wish I
lived somewhere where bandwidth was cheaper - we pay almost as much
for the 1Mb/s we get as 100Mb/s would cost in the US.)

Eivind.