Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:25:54 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using Jade generated .tex with teTeX

Hi,

I've been playing with Jade 1.0 (from the ports system) and teTeX 0.4
(also from the ports system) in an effort to use Jade's tex backend to
generate .tex files I can then process to produce postscript.

I followed from instructions from the DSSSL mailing list archives

which failed. The instructions were

   1. get jadetex macros
   2. tex jadetex.ins %writes jadetex.ltx)
   3. tex -ini \&latex jadetex.ltx '\dump'
   4. tex \&jadetex foo.tex  % where jade wrote foo.tex
   5. dvips foo -o foo.ps

Step 3 fails because (according to Sebastian Rahtz)

  > your Web2c TeX is not the most recent. where i say `tex -ini' you
  > should say `initex'

So replacing step 3 with

   3. initex \&latex jadetex.ltx '\dump'

works (modulo some problems with missing fonts).

Step 4 now fails with the message

    % tex \&jadetex filename.tex
    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (C version 6.1)
    (filename.tex
    LaTeX2e <1996/12/01> patch level 1
    Babel <v3.6h> and hyphenation patterns for american, german, loaded.

    ! LaTeX Error: File `hyperref.sty' not found.

Before I decide to wade in and install TeX by hand rather than relying
on the ports system, I was wondering if anyone else had bumped into this
and had canned instructions for fixing it?

Cheers,

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
        Diana, the roadkill formally known as Princess, 1961-1997    NC5-RIPE