Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 02:22:23 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The real Unix problem

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 03:23:54AM -0500, Erik Rothwell wrote:
> You are *such* a fucking tool, sorry to say, but uhm... why
> not try /etc/rc.local or /usr/local/etc/rc.d ??? I really
> effin' hate these windows vs. BSD debates, because they are so
> childish. . . but, your inadequacy does not make an operating
> system suck. BSD allows vast amounts of configuration, and
> for that, you must pay the price of not being pampered by
> the Windows congolomorate.
> Learn about something before you install it, bro.

To those who took the time to read this reply in this rather
unseemingly thread, my gratitude for you taking the time to
read my perhaps controversial opinions on it instead of
skipping over it based on header :)

Unfortunately, he has a point which seems to be escaping almost
everyone who has replied to this thread:

Ever since the adaptation of Microsoft Windows as the "standard"
for the "home user", the very nature in the design of such
software has taken the "oldschool" hackers (I mean MSDOS
or PCDOS, OS/9, PC-MOS386, etc) and turned him/her into the
lowest common denominator for those who don't have the time
nor the inclination to learn.

All in the name of "convienience" and "ease of use".

Some of my clients can't even navigate their way around Windows
itself because they simply don't have the aptitude to assimilate
the information in a coherent manner (whether it be some deep
seated fear of computers -- as odd as that sounds, I still meet
some people who are afraid of computers) and thus OS's such
as FreeBSD seem completely alien to them (afterall, there's
no place to click to install this or that)

The fault doesn't lie with the user, in this case, a very
distraught and upset person who for all we know, care barely
find the "Start" button. I'll bet he barely understands the
"dos prompt" in Windows much less then how to compile a kernel.

I don't mean this to add to the already numerous insults he's
received, I emphasize it to illustrate that not everyone out
there in computer-land is from the days when some of us used
Radiation King monitors and machines that weren't even measured
in MHz.

The true culprit is monolithic corporations such as Microsoft
who in what I'm sure was originally once a noble idea to make
computers easier to use, has sacrificed the control some of us
DEMAND from our operating systems to fit into a world costantly
in a hurry to get somewhere and shit-canned everyone into the
same mould and thus produces users who end up getting
frustrated because they only think on the one wavelength in
which they were "educated" into.

The end result is we who understand and can sit on this side
of the fence look down on those on the other side of the fence
who simply don't know any better. Instead of retorting back
with insults, perhaps it would have been a better avenue to
suggest help in a more helpful manner.

I realize to some of you, you might be thinking, "we don't
need his kind anyways". It's unlikely to me that any of us
were not at one time in his shoes, albeit perhaps went
about learning and asking questions in a much more
acceptable manner.

The way I see it, every user I help introduce into FreeBSD
(anything to break the hold of the Borg) is one more addition
to the cause... Which to my understaning is one of our goals
here people, yes?

</ramble>

My 2 cents...
Chris Wasser