Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Lawrence Sica wrote:

> > The Christian canon is not based on the dead sea scrolls.  The canon is
> > based on what the church has always recognized as the scriptures.  The
> > concept of canonicity was inherited from the Jewish church from whom it
> > received the Old Testament scriptures.  The New Testament scriptures
> > were received gradually by the church from the apostles and their close
> > associates, and as such were approved by the apostles, who were in turn
> > commissioned by Christ Himself.
>
> Not exactly, the Bible in its current state was decided over 300 years
> after Jesus walked on earth.

What you mean is that it was formally canonized 300 years after Jesus
walked the earth.  That does not change the legitimacy of the canon, since
the criteria for determining the canon was apostolic authenticity.

> And like I have said before there were
> hundreds of books and gospels.

There were hundreds of books and gospels written by all kinds of people
who did not have apostolic authority.  Why does it seem so surprising
that the church would want to weed all of these dubious sources out?

> Constantine began the process of
> canonization of the Bible.  The reason for it was to make sure everyone
> was on the same page so to speak.

No, the reason was because the heretic Marcion attempted to repudiate all
of the old testament and most of the new testament scriptures as well.

> The word itself is greek btw.  They
> wanted to stop heretics, and thus the orthodoxy was established in the
> canon of the Bible.  And while one takes it on faith that the books
> included were inspired by God's Will.  One has to ask, if all the books
> were inspired by God why were they not all included?  Why were some
> deemed right and wrong, and what was the criteria?

The criteria was apostolic authenticity.  If a book was to be considered
part of the canon, it had to be penned either by an apostle or one of
their close associates.  Books like "The Gospel of Thomas" were recognized
to be of dubious authority and as such were rejected.  By the way, just by
reading most of these books one can see why they would be considered of
dubious authority.  The stories are silly and pointless.

> Books that would
> have preached that the church was not always needed would have been
> removed for example.  Thus politics, in this case, the survival of the
> Church, came into play.

What this line of thinking fails to take into account is that the kind of
God that we find in the scriptures would be willing and able to preserve
those books which He intended to be preserved for all ages.  God
providentially preserved those books which needed to be preserved for
the church in all ages.  Speculation about political motivations and such
are somewhat irrelevant, unless you reject the existence of God from the
outset.  Presuppositions have determinitive function in how you view the
canon.

> Plus remember the man who started this was a
> political figure, and wanted to further his chosen religion above all
> others in his empire, hence that would also have a bearing on the
> outcome.

Yes, but it was not Constantine who decided on the canon, it was the
church which received the scriptures from the apostolic tradition and
later formally canonized them.  All political considerations are
incidental.

> >> Is the true canon the dead sea scrolls?  Or is it the King James
> >> translation into English of the Bible?
> >
> > What has *any* English translation have to do with it?  The canon
> > was received from the apostles, who were commissioned by Christ.
> > The principle by which the church eventually agreed on what was to
> > be included in the canon was the historical tradition of apostolicity.
> >

> English translation has a lot to do with it.  Look at the the name
> Jehova.  If you take two versions of the Bible translated by different
> people, you will have two slightly different books.

Yes, but the overall message will be much the same.  This is why we don't
just do one-man translations.  Every English translation we have is the
result of the work of many scholars.  This by no means is an indication
that we have a "perfect" translation anywhere, but it does mean that
overall, we can trust it.  There is always more work to be done of course,
and as scholarship improves our translations will also improve.

> That is why a
> translation has a lot to do with it.  History itself is full of
> mistranslations of words not only in the Bible.

Which is why scholarship is important.  It doesn't mean we just throw
up our hands and give up altogether.  As Christians, we believe in
objective truth and that there are ways to resolve these kinds of
disputes.  Maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but they can be
resolved.

Neal