Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:00:10 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        Zack Hobson <zgh+bsd@malfunktion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Donn Miller <hackr_d@yahoo.com>, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarking CVSup

Try this one, it will print the fastest hop first.  The sever with the
fewest hops might not be the fastest.  This does not mean that fastest to
answer will produce the quickest downloads, there are too many other
unknown factors to consider.  Your experience will rule here.  The
following script will print out the fastest site first of the 16 mirrors.
There will be no output untill they have all been tracerouted, about 30
seconds on my connection, YMMV.

This will give lots of detail.  Fastest first.

#!/bin/sh

for i in `jot 16`
        do
                 echo -n "cvsup${i}           "
                 traceroute -n cvsup${i}.freebsd.org 2>&1 | tail -1
        done | sort +7 -n

This will just give the fastes first, with the speed.  The -m 20 means
limit it to 20 hops, adjust as necessary.

#!/bin/sh

for i in `jot 16`
         do
                 MS=`traceroute -n -m 20 cvsup${i}.freebsd.org 2>&1 |\
                  tail -1 | cut -f5,6 -d" "`
                  echo  " "
                  echo  "cvsup${i}        $MS           "
          done | sort +1 -n