Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 12:06:43 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Eddy Deegan <deegan@dreamworld.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp rears it's head again

> Greetings all.
>
> Having finally got a full FreeBSD installation installed, running Afterstep / Enlightenment, installed everything going, made a custom kernel and all the other lovely stuff that comes with 2.2.2 CD-ROM version, I got round to configuring ppp. Now, I successfully managed this, and indeed it dials up, connects and starts happily transmitting etc, but after about 3 minutes it drops the line.
>

>From the FAQ:

: 10.7.4. My connection drops under heavy load

: If you have Link Quality Reporting (LQR) configured, it is possible that too many LQR packets are lost between your machine
: and the peer. Ppp deduces that the line must therefore be bad, and disconnects. Prior to FreeBSD version 2.2.5, LQR was
: enabled by default. It is now disabled by default. LQR can be disabled with the line
:
:           disable lqr

(sorry about the long lines, but hey, you started it :-)

> I have scoured the FAQ and the Dox to no avail. Looking at the ligs reveals that the old 'Too many echo packets lost' has reared it's ugly head again. I did a search of the mailing list archives and was surprised to see that loads of you seem to have had this problem. However, the latest reference I can find on the subject is several months back, but I have not found the answer. I gather that sticking 'disable' and 'deny' lines for lqr and (maybe) lcp is supposed to fix this, and I'll do that (I thought I'd already disabled lqr) but was a proper solution ever reached? It's very very frustrating!!!!

The proper solution is to disable it.  Ppps strategy is to give up
the ghost (which is only hinted at in the rfc).  If it were to do
anything different, there'd be no way of noticing a dead line -
especially over a direct link.

> Eddy Deegan
> deegan@dreamworld.demon.co.uk

I use Demon too, and I think they stop sending LQRs when load gets
high :-(

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;