Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:50:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      "jtkipp@students.wisc.edu" <jesse@foo.bar.com>
To:        QHunt29936 <QHunt29936@aol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ? on disk part. edit

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, QHunt29936 wrote:

> I try to boot Bsd on my PC with DOS and Windows------------
> on "disk partition editor" I got message :
> disk name: wd1
<cut table...>
>   I think the #1 and #3 too small (since 1008x512 bites =512 KBytes< 20MB)?,
> so
> I highlighted the #2, then I was told that this slice is in use and should be
> deleted, if I do so I will lost files ( used in Windows) in this disk? what is
> meant here the "deleted"-----the same as that in DOS?
>   but the sizes of #1 and #3 kept the same after I deleted many DOS files from
> the wd1 (it is the 2nd disk in my PC).
If you delete the second slice, all your windows will be gone, gone, gone
(many people argue that that is not a bad thing...). It looks like part 1
is reserved as a boot sector, that doesn't make much differance if this
is the second hard disk, but if you ever want to make this disk bootable
(for a different computer for example...), you should probably use at
least a dos boot sector to save it...
Slice three looks like it is maybe just some space above what your version
of dos or windows can access. If you delete slice number 2, it will
combine with any empty slices of either side of it, and you'll have a
large chunk of unused disk you can make into a freebsd partition, but you
won't have dos/windows on the disk anymore (nor any data that was there
before)... There is a freeware utility called FIPS that can break that dos
partition down into 2 smaller partitions, and then you can delete one of
those.

good luck,

Jesse Kipp
zaphod@imailbox.com