Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2013 17:59:58 +0000
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@qxnitro.org>
To:        Ben jamin <tesuuji@gmail.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't connect to update.freebsd.org.

On 3 February 2013 17:36, Ben jamin <tesuuji@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to run freebsd-update with a default config I get:
>
> > Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
> > Fetching public key from update.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> > No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>
> update1.freebsd.org and update2.freebsd.org appear to be down. I had to
> modify the server in freebsd-update.conf to update3.freebsd.org in order
> for it to work.

Without any details (FreeBSD version, time it happened etc). It's hard
to comment on why that fails. It's correct that update1 and update2
doesn't currently work, but there are no guarantees they will. The
supported way is using our SRV records at update.freebsd.org which
point at the running servers.

I suspect the problem might be broken DNS on your / your ISP's end
causing freebsd-update's SRV code to fail and falling back to A
records. Try running the following:

host -t srv _http._tcp.update.freebsd.org

It should produce something like this:

[root@leto:~] host -t srv _http._tcp.update.freebsd.org
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 50 80 update5.freebsd.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 5 80 update3.freebsd.org.
_http._tcp.update.freebsd.org has SRV record 1 35 80 update4.freebsd.org.

PS. freebsd-update.conf should contain:

ServerName update.FreeBSD.org

for freebsd-update to use the SRV records.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen