Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:05:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        rootman <rootman@xmission.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Justification for using FreeBSD

> You know, being a manager myself I really get pissed off when I see these
> stories.  For starters, I can assure you that what's going on here is your
> manager is attempting to micromange you.  She's probably doing it because
> she is new and has no confidence in herself as a manger and so to cover this
> up she is going to look for ways to tell you what to do.  People like her
> are why so many companies today are laying off all their middle managers -
> your talking about people that don't do any work and just get in the way
> of the people that do.
>
> With PC prices as cheap as they are all of the old arguments about cost
> savings by combining servers are now voided.  Indeed, multiple servers
> vastly increases redundancy.  Nobody has also proven that combining servers
> ever saved anyone any administrative costs either.

<...confrontational advice snipped...>

	Or what could *also* happen is you throw down the gauntlet like this and
wind up getting sh*t canned. It's happened to me before. You get fed up
with the MS crap, and clueless hosers in posititions of authority above
you who, if breathing wasn't an instinct they would be dead. You storm in
to your bosses office throwing down the gauntlet and in no time your
looking for a new job. Think carefully about things before you take Ted's
advice :) Not that it will get you fired, or that it's bad advice, but I
have done just what he has suggested several times before. It doesn't
always work in your favor.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | Sr. Unix Administrator
Work:           chris.watson@twa.com | Trans World Airlines, Kansas City, MO
Home:              scanner@jurai.net | http://www.twa.com
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"