Date:      22 Mar 1998 00:55:08 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's ASUS ?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> } Here is a traceroute to their web site in Taiwan.  Their US site appears
> } to be down again
> } which is understandable since they are moving.  Just because a web site
> } is down for a day
> } does not mean the company is in trouble!
> Traceroute is inappropriate for showing that a site is up or down.  A site
> can be up and still not reachable by traceroute.

Or down, but still reachable by traceroute.

> It is also pretty inept of a company to allow their long-time-working
> network site to be completely unavailable just because they're moving.

AOL.

> Considering how easy it is to avoid this, it's not all that unreasonable
> to wonder whether the company still exists.  (And it's been way longer
> than `a day'.)

To put it bluntly, "They're moving" doesn't seem bloody likely. They
wouldn't shut down the entire domain if they were just moving.
According to the InterNIC, asus.com is on hold; there is another
domain, asustek.com (created 1997/10/27) but my guess is it's a fraud.

In my book, "on hold" is bureaucratese for "they didn't pay the bill
so we shut them down".

DES, aka. DS10339, who usually pays his bills on time :P
--
fprintf(stderr, "I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out.\n");