Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:34:08 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal auth and inetd don't seem to like each other

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 12:38:40AM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> I'm attempting to use the internal auth.  I'm failing.
>
> I enable the following in /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> auth    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o
> UNKNOWN -t 30
>
> Then I killall -hup inetd
>
> And I see this in /var/log/messages when I try to connect to an IRC
> server, I get these:
>
> Sep 17 00:16:26 ducky inetd[13754]: cannot execute internal: No such
> file or directory
>
> I've found nothing in the questions mailing list archives.
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD ducky.nz.freebsd.org 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0:
> Mon Aug 21 18:17:33 NZST 2000
> root@ducky.nz.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DUCKY  i386
>
> Others seem to have this working.  No idea why I can't.

It seems to work fine for me,

  FreeBSD 149.211.6.64.reflexcom.com 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #7: Tue Aug  8 22:44:30 PDT 2000     cjc@149.211.6.64.reflexcom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/CJC-DESKTOP  i386

Have you tried running inetd in debug mode, -d?

> side note: from what I've seen of other working examples, I don't think
> this will provide a working auth for boxes behind the fw/nat box (on
> which the above was done).

You are saying you will run this on the NAT box? It should work
fine. Use '-d' or '-g' options for auth.