Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 17:03:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM, winter@jurai.net, kato@eclogite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the Linux emulator not working for you?

> I have been evaluating the possibility of the VM system properly
> supporting ill constructed a.out formats (like those with 1K offset)
> and it would not be too hard.  It would break coherency -- but
> would add maybe 25-50 lines of code (very simple.)  Since it is
> bad (not allowed) to modify a running binary anyway, the cost (in
> functionality) is low.  I definitely plan to add it for 2.2.  But
> if someone has a better (easier) solution -- PLEASE go for it!!!

You should talk to Matt Day (mday@elbereth.org).  He has been working
on VOP_GETPAGE/VOP_PUTPAGE style linear address caching modification
(ala SunOS/SVR4) if you think this will completely torpedo coherency.

You would have to get the details from him; he was talking about
rolling the changes back in.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---